Rebuild Lives Rebuild Hopes
Super-typhoon Haiyan, reported by media as possibly the strongest tropical cyclone in recorded history, struck the central Philippines on 8 November 2013, resulting in massive destruction and casualties. Over one million houses have been damaged or destroyed. About 14 million people have been affected, including many vulnerable women and children.
World Vision has launched one of its largest relief operations in the Philippines to respond to the needs of the affected. Four months after typhoon Haiyan devastated the country, while food aid remains an important part of our relief distributions, shelter has now become the number one concern of the typhoon survivors.
World Vision’s Response Highlights
Emergency Response Phase (Nov 2013 – Jan 2014)
- Over 126,000 families were provided with food kits (rice, canned food, mung beans, biscuit, oil and water)
- Shelter and essential survival support
- About 70,800 families received emergency shelter kits (tarps and ropes), kitchen sets, and essential non-food item kits (blankets, mosquito nets and sleeping mats)
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Over 46,000 families were provided with hygiene kits (toothbrush, toothpaste, soaps, sanitary items, etc)
- About 27,000 families received water treatment kits (jerry cans and aquatabs)
- Hygiene promotion sessions were conducted on proper handwashing, water treatment and storage, and proper excreta disposal
- Health and nutrition
- Birthing kits, baby kits and breastfeeding kits were distributed to pregnant women and mothers
- Health sessions were conducted to the affected families to promote good health practices
- 13 Women and Young Children Spaces (WAYCS) were established to provide a safe space for lactating mothers and their young children, where mothers also learn about breastfeeding and nutrition.
- 59 Child Friendly Spaces were established to provide a safe space for children to play and learn, and to relieve their disaster stress.
Recovery and Rehabilitation Phase (Feb 2014 – Sep 2014)
- Provision of technical support (including alignment to Disaster Risk Reduction principles) for shelter rehabilitation
- Cash-for-Work approaches to aid short-term economic recovery
- Repair and reconstruction of community facilities, including schools, WASH and health facilities
- Distribution of hand washing kits and construction of latrines to improve hygiene
- Restoration of existing livelihoods through the provision of technical assistance and materials
Please Continue to Support Other Children in Need
With the support of our donors, we are able to carry out rehabilitation work in the Philippines. If you wish to offer long-term help to the impoverished children, please join the Child Sponsorship Programme. This way, you can contribute through regular monthly donation and help the needy in developing countries improve their lives and achieve self-reliance!
At the same time in Syria, many children affected by the conflict are living in very difficult situations. You can respond to their urgent humanitarian needs by donating to our Syrian Refugee Response!
Please continue to support the typhoon survivors, who are still in great need of help to rebuild their lives!
Support Through Donations (Applicable to Hong Kong)
- Online Donations:
You can use credit card to Donate Online, or Print Donation Form and fax it to us on 2394 4844 / 2789 4744
- By Crossed Cheque:
Please prepare a cheque payable to "World Vision Hong Kong" together with your personal details and mail it to us at World Vision Hong Kong, Freepost No. 69. Please write "Philippines Typhoon Relief" on the envelope.
- Donation via 7-Eleven:
Please print the relevant barcode and take it to any 7-Eleven store in Hong Kong to make a cash donation.
We are grateful to the following corporations or organisations for their fundraising efforts in the Philippines Typhoon (Names are listed in alphabetical order):
- AEON / AEON SUPERMARKET / AEON Credit Service Branches
- China Hong Kong City
- City Walk
- Hung Fook Tong Holdings
- International Commerce Center
- Island Resort Mall
- Langham Place
- Olympian City 2
- Sinopec Group
- Tuen Mun Town Plaza Phase 1
Support Through Donations (Applicable to Macau)
- Online Donations:
· You can use credit card to Donate Online, or Print Donation Form and fax it to us at (853) 2835 2737
· BOC debit cardholders can make donations via BOC EXPRESS
· BOC Online Banking users can make donations via BOCNET (Personal)
- By Crossed Cheque:
Please prepare a cheque payable to "World Vision of Macau Association" together with your personal details and mail it to us at World Vision of Macau Association, P.O. Box 530, Macau. Please mark "Philippines Typhoon Relief" on the envelope.
World Vision Hong Kong thanks Fu Tak Iam Foundation Limited for its generous donation of HKD500,000 towards Philippines Typhoon Relief.
Support Through Prayers
Please pray for the children, families, and communities left devastated by the Philippines Typhoon Relief. Pray also for God's protection and guidance upon those who are responding with emergency assistance.
- Support through donations
- Sponsor a child helps children in poor areas build a better community in the long run, and fight against future disasters
- Become a World Vision Partner, bringing help to people under threats of natural disasters, poverty, war conflicts, and hunger.
- Subscribe to World Vision's latest online news to understand more about the needs and conditions of people living in poverty
- Inform your friends about World Vision's work in emergency relief on Facebook and encourage them to also help victims
- Pray for the survivors